GeorgiaWaterfowler.com

The Georgia Waterfowler's Duck Blind
It is currently Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:46 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Forum rules

This is also the entry site to the Annual GWF youth "first duck" contest.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:54 am 
Commander of all things Fowl

Early season is here! Please see the rules thread and make your official entry here for the 3rd annual GWF Youth 1st Duck Initative. Posts other than official entry posts will be removed.

The post must include:
A picture showing both the youth and the waterfowl.
-Date of kill.
-Location of kill.
-Story of kill.
-Date of birth of the youth.

For protection, the name and the address of the youth can be PMed to me. Please provide enough detail in the PM so that he can match it to the post here.

We have great prizes for our new youth waterfowlers to be given away thanks to our program sponsors:

Bandedwoodie
Jerry Russell Guide Service
Muddpuppi custom calls
Little River Lanyards
Dana Stanford Taxidermy
Keith Custom Calls
Savduck lanyards
J&L Guide Service
Misfire Game Calls
Quake Industries Outdoor Products
Connecticut Valley Arms (CVA muzzleloaders)
Killer Kallz
SumToy Custom Chokes
Lookout Lanyards
LaCross Waders
Fowel Field Custom Calls

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:58 am 

Ok, tell every youth you know to take a camera in the field with them this duck hunting season. Georgia Waterfowler will once again be sponsoring a 1st Duck Program this year, with camo hats for every youth that enters plus chances at great prizes.

Please PM me with any questions or for more information.

GRAND PRIZE DRAWING:
- 1 duck mount
- 1 guided goose hunt in GA donated by J&L Guide Service (678-614-1706). (Includes youth and 1 adult. Hunters must supply transportation/lodging to/from location, must supply licenses, food, guns, and ammo.)
- shotgun (GWF)
- SumToy Custom choke
- hand carved cork decoy
- Killer Kallz polycarb call with GWF 1st Duck logo
- Lookout lanyard
- Gift certificate for a pair of LaCross waders

1st Prize drawing:
- 1 duck mount (GWF)
- hand braided leather call lanyard
- 1 fully guided choice of GA goose hunt or FL salt diver hunt donated by Jerry Russell. (Child & 1 adult included. Hunters must supply transportation/lodging to/from location, must supply licenses, food, guns, and ammo.)
- shotgun (GWF)
- SumToy Custom choke

2nd Prize drawing:
- 1 duck mount (GWF)
- hand braided leather call lanyard
- hand made custom mallard call
- CVA Electra muzzleloader

3rd Prize drawing
- 1 dozen decoys (GWF)
- custom made duck call
- Quake Industries Stag all-terrain seat

4th Prize drawing
- 1 dozen decoys (GWF)
- custom made goose call
- $25 gift certificate toward a Little River Lanyards product (GWF)

5th Prize drawing
- 1 dozen decoys (GWF)
- custom made goose call
- $25 gift certificate toward a Little River Lanyards product (GWF)

6th Prize drawing
- pair of "sleeper" mallard decoys (GWF)
- hand braided single drop call lanyard
- hand made custom woodduck call
-Two cork black duck decoys

Additional Prizes:
FIRST BANDED DUCK
- Free duck mount (GWF)
- $25 gift certificate toward a Little River Lanyard product (GWF)

FIRST BANDED GOOSE
- Free goose mount (GWF)
- $25 gift certificate toward a Little River Lanyard product (GWF)

The rules are simple,and may be modified for clarity during the contest:

1. The program is open to entrants who are 16 or younger when the bird was taken.
2. Bird must be taken legally during the 2011- 2012 early or regular season and must be the first waterfowl ever taken by the youth. (Late conversation season harvests do not apply.)
3. The youth taking the bird or guardian must post the story, including date and general location, and pictures of the youth with the bird in the Youth Waterfowl - 1st Duck Program forum at GWF.
4. Each entrant will receive a GWF 1st Duck camo hat plus other potential prizes. (Names and address can be sent via PM to a GWF admin.)
5. Entries must be posted by February 28, 2012.
6. A drawing of all eligible entrants will be held in March 2012 for the prizes. Prizes will be ready for pick up/delievery in April 2012.
7. Participation in this drawing indicates that the child and his/her guardian release GWF and all members of any liability and forfiet any challenges to the contest or its results.
8. Any gun awarded as a prize will be awarded to the legal guardian of the youth winner.
9. Prize pick up or delivery are the responsibility of the prize winners. (This includes getting the mounts to and from taxidermist.)

Youths, good luck this season and don't forget your camera in the blind!

NOTE ON DUCK MOUNTS: If you win a duck mount, please contact me with your local taxidermist information. GWF will pay the taxidermist directly for him to mount your trophy, but all details must be worked out in advance including the price the taxidermist will charge.

NOTE ON SHOTGUNS: Shotguns will be purchased from a dealer of GWF's choice. The legal guardian of the winner will be responsible for contacting GWF's dealer and arranging pick up or shipping and FFL transfer.

NOTE ON MUZZLELOADER: GWF will ship (if available) to the winner's legal guardian. Muzzleloaders are not firearms by federal law and thus can be shipped via common carrier.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:54 pm 
Still a Rookie

This is my son Will. He is 9 years old and went on his first duck hunt this morning 11/12/11 (other than an early teal hunt we struck out on). but anyway, it was a private swamp in banks county and we saw around 50 woodies come in in groups of 6 or so from first light till 7.15. Then a group of GWT's came in and he got one of them. Ended up with 2 woodies and 1 teal. One of the best mornings ive ever spent in the duck blind and he is so hooked now. His after #2 was, "daddy, this is way better than deer hunting."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:56 am 

Davis Hughes
11/13/2011
Jackson County
3/18/2003

First two ducks taken, 2-Woodrow Drakes. Had 20-30 come sporadically. This swamp with the low water conditions has some pretty thick cover. Also pups first full year and did great. Very proud of both of them. Tylerm94 was also along to coach Davis as I videoed the hunt.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:07 pm 
Site Mod

Colton Peray Harrell
DOB 9/7/2002
Decatur County
We took Colton on his first duck hunt for the youth opener. He was so excited that while he stayed at his cousins house (my hunting buddy) the night before that he slept in his new waders.
His father told him that he would mount any duck that Colton shot, as long as it was flying when he shot it. Our plan was to let a few ducks land and then flush them for him to shoot. As the first group came in he threw his gun up and was told to wait. He didn't listen and he folded his first duck on the wing with his first shot. He had his limit with 10 shots (all flying). He and his older brother (who got his first a couple of years ago) will be talking about this hunt for months!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:16 pm 
Hard Core Duckaholic

Alyssa Searcy
Dob - 7/31/96
County - Troup
Date - 11/12/11

This young lady is one of my close friends daughter. We took Alyssa to a private lease of mine in Troup County. Had ten woodies, a pair of mergansers and a lone teal come in on this morning. After some coaching in the blind from her daddy Alyssa took her first duck, a drake woodie. She then was able to take a hen merganser.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:26 pm 

Date of harvest: 11/24/11
Name: Tanner Doucet
DOB: 11/29/95

My 4 nephews - 2 from KC and 2 from Broussard, LA - hunted my cousin's pit blind in NELA over the Thanksgiving week. Tanner has never shown much of an interest in hunting, unlike his twin brother Taylor (who got his first bird a few years ago), but this week he wanted to go with his cousins and give it a try.

They had some screwy weather all week, and most birds were flying high or not at all. Tens of thousands of geese in the area. And several small groups of birds checking out the decoys, but not at close intervals. So it was a lot of sitting in the blind for just a few seconds of action every so often.

Tanner stuck with it, and dropped a mallard hen when a pair tried to settle into the decoys. Just a week shy of his 16th birthday, Tanner gets his first bird. The following day, his twin Taylor busted a green head with 3 curls. This is the bird that Taylor has been after since he got his first a few years ago, and that one is headed for his wall.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:01 pm 
Topwater

This is my son Dylan. He will turn 13 on 2-21-12. He was selected for the Dalton Utilities LAS youth hunt on 1-7-12. He missed the first two ducks that decoyed shooting Blind Side through a Modified choke. We switched to IC and this is the first duck that flew into the spread. Maybe it was fate, but how many kids can say that their first duck was a Drake Black Duck? That sealed the deal. I now have a hardcore wanna be duck hunter for a son. He's got me buying paracord so he can tie his own lanyard, bought HIS OWN duck call with some Christmas money he hasn't burned through yet, and is driving his mother crazy walking around the house blowing it. That used to be my job. Now he's got four kids on his basketball team wanting him(read me) to take them duck hunting. I may not kill another bird this year for wrangling kids. But, I don't care. The look on his face when he got that duck in his hands was worth 100 limits. Maybe he and I can help give that feeling to another youngster before the season runs out.
I would like to say thank you to Ducks Unlimited, Dalton Utilities, GA DNR and all the volunteers that made this event possible. Special thanks to Wes Ward, our guide for the decoys, calling, and dog work. And thanks everybody at the Georgia Waterfowler for putting this on. Ga duck hunting is a full contact sport, and can get a little ugly at times, but it's nice to know that even hard core duck killas have a soft spot for the kids.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:39 am 
Still a Rookie

This was the first year my son has waterfowl hunted, and I have created a monster! It was early goose season and we found some geese using a half drained pond, and they were always using the same route every morning. After 2 days of setting up on these geese, He finally knocked one down! The first morning we had set up wrong and they were a little to far away for his auto 20, and he managed to squeeze off 1 round then I made him stop, just because they were a little to far away. I told him not to worry that we will move up and set up different the next morning. Well the next morning we got set up, and I really didnt know how close they would come, but we hear them coming and we are in their back pocket in a matter of minutes. I had him set up on a shooting stick and we told him we were going to let him shoot first then we were gonna start letting the hammer loose. As soon as they got in range I told him to shoot at the lead goose and dont stop shooting till all 3 were gone. He shot at the lead goose in a group of about 35, and as I was picking some off I see one near the back start to crumble and fall out. I look down at him and all you saw was teeth and screaming, " I GOT ONE, I GOT ONE!!" We did end up haveing to finish it, but it was HIS goose! Here is Lane 8 years old with his first Goose ever, and a taxidermy bill for dad! Worth every penny!!!!

Lane
8 years old
DOB 1/29/03
Date of Hunt 9/25/2011

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:21 pm 

Just to get the official entry where it needs to be:

Quote:
Mark Dewberry
DOB - 1-27-1996
Date bird taken - 1-15-2012

GADAWGS and I got into Stuttgart about 10:00 on the 14th and told my nephew if he wanted to go hunting with us the next day, he needed to be ready about 5:15. We turned the corner and he was standing there with all of his gear ready to go. He climbed in the truck and off we went. We were supposed to meet the property owner at 5:30 about three miles North of Stuttgart to find out where he wanted us to hunt.
5:30 came and went with no meeting. 5:45 passes, then 6:00. At 6:15 I said we can go to the resivoir to hunt until the sun comes up and I can find the blind. We got to the spot in the resivoir and threw out a few decoys. There were not many birds to be seen, so we just chat-chitted for a while until the sun came up enough to find the blind in the field behind us. We decided to move to the blind.
Once in the blind, there were still not many birds to be seen and even fewer to be calling at. I was starting to feel that there was going to be a skunk in the air. I picked up my phone and dialed the property owner's number again. Before he picked up I heard GADAWGS say, "There's two coming straight at us." I layed my phone down and looked out and noticed that they are pintails just as he said it. We then told Mark, "You've got the first shot. We'll let you know when."
Once they were in range, we said take 'em. As I pulled up on the drake, I heard two shots within milliseconds. The drake fell, and I took the hen. As soon as I pulled the trigger I heard, "Nice shot, Mark." I turned and said, "He got the drake?" GADAWGS said yes he did, he fired that pump twice faster than I could pull the trigger once.
I was pumped up. My nephew got his first duck, and a pintail. I went to pick up the birds (didn't check for bands). I picked up the drake and noticed that it was fully plummed and a great looking bird, grabbed the hen and went back to the blind with my head still in the clouds for my nephew.
I got back to the blind and GADAWGS said, "Picture time". He stepped out of the blind and was telling Mark how to hold the duck for the best picture. I wasn't paying much attention to them because I was texting everyone in my family bragging for him when I heard GADAWGS say, "Holly crap, it's banded!" He looked at me and asked if I had put a fake band on it. I said, "No, that would just be mean."
Mark got on his phone and entered the band information. If I remember correctly, it was banded in Sasketchewan Canada in 2010 and was at leat 2 years old at that time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:05 pm 
Topwater

Bryceton Sanders
4-29-2000
Wilkinson Co 1-24-2012

I had planned on taking my boys to hunt our kaolin pit this weekend but motocross got in the way. Next best thing is to let them go to school late on Tuesday. My Dad, 2 sons Kaleb (14), Bryceton (11) and myself pulled in around 6:15 and started our slippery decent down to the waters edge. Since Bryceton had never killed a duck the plan was no one could shoot until he got off a few shots. About daybreak we heard the famous honk, honk coming our way, two geese show up on the horizon and are headed right to us, next thing BOOM! BOOM! Both geese hit the ground and I yell at my Dad, "That wasn't the plan" his response " those weren't ducks" . Needless to say it was a free for all after that, the first ringneck surprised Bryceton when it came in and he missed it, My Dad told him to get way out in front of the next one. Sure enough the next two that came in Boom! and Bryceton had his first duck. We ended up with 2 ringnecks, 2 honkers and a Redhead ( my 1st). All in all an awesome morning and now we are having to take the boys down to Seminole this Weekend, more than likely the hunting will be bad but 2 nights in a duck camp with my 2 boys and Dad will be loads of fun.
:cheers:

Picture is coming I emailed it to another member to post for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:42 pm 

Bryceton Sanders first duck, congratulations buddy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:52 pm 
Hard Core Duckaholic

2/4/12

Tallahassee, FL

Took advantage of the Florida Youth weekend this morning and got 2 boys on their first ducks.

A buddy of mine invited us to shoot a Plantation pond and the ducks did not disappoint. Had around 300-400 on the water before the first shots rang out.

Both boys made good 20 yard passing shots on their birds. John also knocked down a gadwall but couldn't finish it off.

When it was all said and done, the shell manufacturers got richer and the boys got their first birds.

John, 7-26-00, with his first 2 ducks.

Bayne, 9-27-99, with his first duck.

The rest of the kids

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:44 pm 
Hard Core Duckaholic

2/5/12
Tallahassee, FL

Had planned to take 2 boys to the plantation pond this am, but one of the boys backed out, so I woke my daughter up and out the door we went at 4:45.

Different blind this morning and not as many close shots, but 3 boxes of shells later, we had 8 ducks on the water, and my daughter had her first bird.

And to top it off, it happened on my 40th bday.

Noelle 8/16/02

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:58 am 
Topwater

Ty Waters
First duck
First Banded duck
DOB: 4/06/2006
Date of kill: 1/27/2012
Location of kill: Pulaski County on some private land just off the Ocmulgee River

This is my son Ty. He has been going duck hunting with me for a couple of years but this was his first year hunting with a gun. Over the summer I was able to find a used little single shot Rossi for $100. I thought it may still be a little much for him but the stock had been shortened and it fit him perfect. I figured he could at least start carrying a gun, loaded or not loaded. This past dove season I let him shoot a couple of light target loads and it didn't seem to bother him... much. Even though I could tell that little 20 gauge was thumping him pretty good on the shoulder he didn't want me to notice. Well duck season rolls around. We hunted hard all season and had some very good hunts. I had a friend of mine invite us to a hunt on some private land just off the Flint river. He told me Ty should be able to get a shot at some woodies because they always land in the decoys. They landed in the decoys alright, but all Ty could do was boil the water right under the ducks feet. Not once, but 3 times. My friend and I ended up with a limit of Woodies buy Ty was still empty handed. Most of the season had past and I got a call from a buddy of mine that has a place in Pulaski County. It was the last Friday of the season and Ty had school. In fact he was already in bed thinking he was going to school. I know its bad, but I couldn't wait to get up early, wake him up and say, "Get ready! Let's go duck hunting." It's funny because on normal school mornings he is tough to get going, but when he heard those words he jumped right up. He got ready so fast it was unbelievable. I told him I would take him to school when we got home from our hunt. I also told him he better not fall asleep in class or this will never happen again. Well we finally make it to the best looking duck hole in the state and got set up. I had decided to hang my gun on a Cyprus limb and help Ty. It wasn't long before woodies just flooded the timber and started landing everywhere. A big 'ol fat cheeked woody drake landed within 15 yards of us and started swimming, quartering away right to left. I grabbed Ty's gun, handed it to him, and cocked the hammer. After all this I couldn't believe he was in range. I helped him line up and before I could tell him to put the bead on his head he had already pulled the trigger. He rolled that woody drake grave yard dead. We looked at each other and words can't describe how excited and proud I was for him. To top that, my friend Matt sent his Chesapeake on the retrieve and when she got it back it was sporting some of the prettiest jewelry you every put your eyes on. I couldn't believe my eyes! I had just watched my son kill his first duck and on top of that, his first banded duck. Needless to say I'm extremely thankful I was able to share that special moment with him. I told him to tell his teacher he had been sick of not killing any ducks and that he had to go see the duck doctor. LOL :headbang: :iconbiggrin: :iconbiggrin:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:49 pm 
Topwater

Attachment:
Justin's ducks small file.jpg

Justin
Age 14
DOB 8/18/97
Location of kill Madison Co, FL
Date 12/17/11

Justin finally got his first ducks on our second trip. The action was slow at first light but after an hour of daylight the ruddies started coming in fast and furious. It didn't take long for him to connect on his first two ducks ever.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:55 pm 
Topwater

Attachment:
Lance's duck small file.jpg

Lance
Age 11
DOB 09/26/00
Location of kill Madison Co, FL
Date 11/19/11

On our first trip ever Lance was able to connect on his first duck, a hen shovelar, while dad and older brother struck out completely. The smile on his face was priceless.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:53 am 

One PMed to me:

Ethan poole, age 10, wanted to go duck hunting so he asked his best friend to take himalong. Well that evening after school his friend's dad took them to the creek to try and jump shoot some wood ducks. They were not able to kill and woodies, so they put the stalk on some hooded mergansers in the friend's cousin's pond. Both kids raised their guns and fired, both killing a hen merganser. Ethan was very excitied, and the next morning he went back to the creek with his friend and his dad and killed a hen wood duck.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]